Saturday 7 March 2009

If it works... oh boy!

Let me start by saying there is very little that is new in strength training. From time to time someone will put a name to something they think they came up with but you can bet a few of your hard earned bucks that someone somewhere has done that very same idea for years - just never thought to call it 'New program X' or whatever.

So is what I did today with the 2 hand pinch new? Nope. Now before we get in too deep I will NOT be going into detail just yet. As the title says... if it works OH BOY will some big numbers be pulled over the next three or so months. Loz (Laurence Shahlaie) and I did our usual straight set working our way up the pyramid. Topping out, as is our way, at 111.7-kilos or 245.74lbs. Loz then suggested something (he he) which is well-known as a technique in powerlifting and it was one of those 'why the hell didn't I try this before' moments.

Trust me when I say it was nothing unusual, outstanding or even new and novel. Just an old trick applied to a grip movement and WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS BEFORE!Seriously!! Let's just say the poundage, when we were done, was as close to 120-kilos or 264lbs as you can get and if we get what we think we'll get from this technique we will be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

I'm hoping in the 4 and a bit weeks between now and the April 11th Peter Horne competition to see some progress using this technique (probably just once weekly as well). Man... if it works... I'll be as happy as you'll be blown away with the poundage we will be shifting.

Interested? You should be.

1 comment:

odin said...

Steve, you've got me intrigued. I may be trying something similar.